this is an a-periodic communication on the activities of the BIOINforMA (BIOINformatics for MArine biology) group.
This update is meant to keep you informed of BIOINforMA ongoing activities and developments, and to announce upcoming events concerning bioinformatics.
The BIOINforMA group wants to remind you that we are active in supporting and collaborating with SZN researchers and students. Most of the services that we currently offer are listed on our website.
You can ask for support or consult through our ticketing system: you can access this service using your @szn.it mailbox credentials (e.g. email@example.com as username).
- We are glad to announce that SZN is now member of the ELIXIR European Infrastructure.
- The BIOINforMA group announces that the GENOMA (GENOmes for MArine biology) platform is now ready. You can browse this platform here. All the listed species here have a dedicated genome browser (realized with JBrowse).
- For those who didn’t attend the group’s seminar in July 2018, the power point presentations are available on the dedicated page in the BIOINforMA website.
- The group is now one-year-old! You can have a look at the list of completed and ongoing activities here.
The BIOINforMA group, in November, presented two oral presentations at the BBCC 2018 conference. The two abstract are published in the PeerJ Preprints journal:
- Colantuono C., Miralto M., Sangiovanni M., Ambrosino L., Chiusano ML. (2018). “GENOMA: a multilevel platform for marine biology”. (No. e27347v1). PeerJ Preprints.
- Sangiovanni M., Piredda R., Miralto M., Tangherlini M., Chiusano ML. (2018). “Data sharing and interoperability from multi-source long term observations: challenges and opportunities in marine biology”. (No. e27344v1). PeerJ Preprints.
Finally, we are glad to present you with a bunch of publications in which people from our group are involved in:
- Ambrosino L., Vassalli QA., D’Agostino Y., Esposito R., Cetrangolo V., Caputi L., Amoroso A., Aniello F., D’Aniello S., Chatzigeorgiou M., Chiusano ML., Locascio A. (2018) “Functional conserved non-coding elements among tunicates and chordates“. Developmental Biology, online here.
- Tangherlini M., Miralto M., Colantuono C., Sangiovanni M., Dell’Anno A., Corinaldesi C., Danovaro R., Chiusano ML. (2018). “GLOSSARY: the GLobal Ocean 16S Subunit web Accessible Resource”. BMC Bioinformatics, 19 (15), 443. The platform is available at here.
- Ambrosino L., Ruggieri V., Bostan H., Miralto M., Vitulo N., Zouine M., Barone A., Bouzayen M., Frusciante L., Pezzotti M., Valle G., Chiusano ML. (2018) “Multilevel Comparative Bioinformatics to Investigate Evolutionary Relationships and Specificities in Gene Annotations”. BMC Bioinformatics, 19 (15), 435.
- Ambrosino L., & Chiusano ML. (2017) “Transcriptologs: A Transcriptome-Based Approach to Predict Orthology Relationships”. Bioinformatics and Biology insights, 11, 1177932217690136.
- Monticolo F., Colantuono C., Chiusano ML. (2017) “Shaping the evolutionary tree of green plants: evidence from the GST family”. Scientific Reports 7 (1), 14363.
Finally, our work has been acknowledged in the following papers:
- Basu S., Patil S., Mapleson D., Russo MT., Vitale L., Fevola C., Maumus F., Casotti R., Mock T., Caccamo M., Montresor M., Sanges R., Ferrante MI. (2017) “Finding a partner in the ocean: molecular and evolutionary bases of the response to sexual cues in a planktonic diatom”. New Phytologist, doi: 10.1111/nph.14557.
- Russo MT., Vitale L., Entrambasaguas L., Anestis K., Fattorini N., Romano F., Minucci C., De Luca P., Biffali E., Vyverman W., Sanges R., Montresor M., Ferrante MI. (2018) “MRP3 is a sex determining gene in the diatom Pseudo-nitzschia multistriata”. Nature Communications 9 (5050), doi: 10.1038/s41467-018-07496-0.
The BIOINforMA group